Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This is my Cambridge bicycle.

I need to get the steering wheel fixed as it is currently not properly aligned with the handlebars so I have to ride sitting on a slight angle. I checked my watch and found out today that it takes seven minutes by bicycle to get from my place of residence to college. It’s a really nice bicycle ride, across the river and then across Jesus Green, which is covered in crispy autumn leaves at the moment, along a stream which sometimes has ducks on it, and then down a narrow street lined both by the more famous colleges and by teenagers dressed as boatsmen selling punt tours. This street bursts out into the centre of Cambridge, a mess of pedestrians and bicycles tripping over one another, a cobblestone square edged by a large church, the Disney-like turrets of Gonville and Caius and the scaffolding that means I'm yet to see Senate House, the building in which graduations are held. My college, King’s, is about a mile away from my house. This would be considered close in most places, I think, and certainly in Melbourne, but in Cambridge it’s considered very far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment